Ants and an encounter with God!

Our second stop of the day was the church that was built at the site where it was believed Caiaphus' house stood. It was here that Jesus was brought to on the night before his death and kept over night. It was also the place where it is believed Peter denied Christ three times. 

The church was a beautiful sanctury in the madness of the city and the church was full of beautiful pastel paintings on the walls and brightly coloured stained glass. One of the paintings that spoke to me was one that showed Jesus in ropes, stood before a crowed who are shouting and jeering at him. Above him, a number of of angels hold a cross, whilst God looks on the scene with sorrow and torment on his face. It reminded me of this famous verse: 


We went downstairs to the cellar where Jesus may have been kept. It was in this place Jesus would have waited feeling scared, exhausted and full of sorrow. We considered that Jesus did this, took our sin and died for each of us. As we stood in the presence of God we sang: 

"There is a redeemer, Jesus, God's own son
Precious lamb of God, Messiah, Holy one
Thank you oh my father, for giving us your son
and leaving your spirit till the work on earth is done.
When I stand in glory, I shall see his face,
There I'll serve my king, FOREVER
In that holy place"

We went outside and stood in a beautiful garden overlooking Jerusalem. There was an amazing statue depicting Peter's denial. We pondered how Peter must have felt, and the difference of experiences from that to the shores of Galilee.

As I sat, I watched a large group of ants going about their business, oblivious to what was happening for us in that moment. In my spirit, I sensed God saying to me that this is the danger for me as I go home. There have been many moments that I have shared with God and I must actively seek to keep them in my heart so God will continue to work in me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Tales from the Riverbank - Singing at Midnight