The Garden Tomb

Our final destination of the day was 'The Garden Tomb'. It was a little place of quietness and peace in the bustle of Jerusalem. We arrived and was greeted by a lovely English guide who took us through the three stages of the place. 





We sat and overlooked the place believed to be Golgotha, as the guide explained the torment Jesus would have endured during the last moments of his life. He reminded us that through his death, we have life and forgiveness. 

Looking at Golgotha, one thing that struck me, was the way that there was a Muslim cemetery that has been built on top of Golgotha. On the side of the wall, just above the place Jesus would have been crucified, was emblazoned, in Arabic, 'Allah is God' For a little while I got a bit angry, but on reflection, two things occurred to me



One - that if the worst another faith can do is to put death next to the place that God conquered death, then what a mighty God I serve! 

Two - It is interesting that the statement is placed beneath the place where Jesus said:
"Father forgive them, for the know not what they do"


We sat in the garden and the guide explained about the biblical and historical evidence for the tomb. We then had the chance to visit the most likely place where Jesus was buried and rose again. As I walked through the door  and entered the dimly lit tomb, I felt his presence and I felt the joy of knowing it was empty . 




We then sat in a corner of the garden and after singing 'How deep the father's love for us' we shared in communion together. As the sun shone on my face I sat and basqued at the joy of the death and resurrection of my saviour, best friend and Lord. 



"I will not boast in anything, 
No gifts, no power, no wisdom.
But I will boast in Jesus Christ, 
His death and resurrection. 

Why should I gain from his reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my favourite clothing company taught me all about the abundance of God!

Fixing our eyes on Jesus

Tales from the Riverbank - Singing at Midnight